Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Post

I have many observations I've written down over the months since I've began working for The Asylum (as it sometimes feels) but one of the most prominent is the behavior The Asylum's customers seem to have toward sneezing. I was employed at the height of my allergy season and at least once during each of my shifts I sneeze. That's a lot of sneezing, however, I have only had one customer say "bless you" in return. Over the course of almost four months.

A regular customer which I saw on each of my shifts for 21 days straight was a man who I refer to as "outfit man". He always wears the exact same outfit: a pair of tan slacks with a gray sweater vest and a blue dress shirt. He's an African American man with a cartoon-ish face, and I have never seen him purchase a thing. One evening he hobbled down the alleyway toward me as I ducked into my apt building after work, then the next night he asked for parking validation but he hadn't purchased anything, to which he responded "but come on, you see me here all the time!" I don't think he's poor, since apparently he had something to park at the store, but he's a mystery. Apparently he's also a homophobe. One evening he decided to share with me his opinions on a flamboyantly gay man, the "outfit man" referring to him as a "he/she".

Posted by Badger Pocket

No comments: